(Click on the small pictures to see them bigger)
1. Rungrado May Day Stadium 150,000 Pyongyang, North Korea, clearly a communist monument. Home ground of the national football team. Opened on the 1st May 1989 (for a communist celebration of the labors day) hence the name.
2. Salt Lake Stadium 120,000 Calcutta, India, you would expect a country with population over the billion to have big stadiums, India has a big one, China doesn't. Home ground of East Bengal Club, Mohun Bagan Athletic Club and Mohammedan Sporting. Opened in 1984.
3. Azteca 105,000 Mexico City, Mexico. The place where the World cup final Brazil 4-1 Italy took place in 1970. Home ground of Club America. Opened in 1966 but renovated in 1985
4. Bukit Jalil National Stadium 100,000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Opened in 1998 for the Commonwealth games.
5. Melbourne Cricket Ground 100,000 Melbourne, Australia. Opened in 1854, of course not exactly in today's form. Mostly used for cricket and Australian football but also the home ground of the national football team. I have to wonder, is it sold out when they play Fiji, Togo and all the other teams from the Pacific area for the world cup qualifications?
6. Camp Nou 98,772 Barcelona, Spain. Opened 1957 and home ground for FC Barcelona, not much to add about it really, it's pretty well known around the world.
7. Maracana 96,000 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Another famous stadium, renovated in 2007 and home ground of Fluminense and Flamengo, it's estimated that in 1950 a match between Brazil and Uruaguy gathered an incredible 210,000 people.
8. Wembley 90,000 London, England. Opened in 2007 to replace the old Wembley (a real legend in the world of football stadiums) for the national side. The only question I have regarding this stadium is what the hell was so expensive?
1 billion euros???!?!?! That's 3 times the price of the Allianz Arena from Munich!
9. Azadi Stadium 90,000 Tehran, Iran, built in 1971, home ground for Persepolis F.C. , Esteghlal F.C. and the Iranian national football team
10. Estadio Monumental Isidro Romero Carbo 89,930 Guayaquil, Ecuador. Built in 1987 and renovated in 1994. That really makes me think about the quality of the construction if they had to renovate it after only 7 year... Home ground of Barcelona SC